PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2009, 15:06
gsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly "skewed" viewpoint there I think Mickyman.

As we are talking about longhaul, and ignoring any increases in the loco's/short haul growth, most major airports are suffering a downturn.. not all.
As a result of the global economic situation and consequent uncertainty, few carriers are looking to expand ( with the possible exception of Gulf carriers who are expected to increase capacity out of MAN next year!)
and in the case of EK, EY and QR , people ARE supporting those services, in increasing numbers.
Whilst I agree that management at MAN could ( and should) have done better,they wanted BA and I think the greater damage was done by BA effectively either competing , albeit short term, or putting pressure on their alliance carriers such as CX and QF as previously mentioned.
Of course MAN wanted BA to stay and grow.. but they bet on the wrong horse
Having said that , you are correct , its up to MAN now to prove that they dont need, indeed dont want, BA and go and get other carriers to come in and compete
(as CO, DL, US have already shown they can do.)
Not forgetting Virgin , who, whilst still having a rather London centric approach, have at least shown some commitment to MAN.

Time will tell, and I hope that all at MAN now have got the message.

"BA ARE NOT INTERESTED IN MAN"

( I think they have!)