PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferry Flight To Usa
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2009, 14:02
Sygyzy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferry flight to the US

It's 25 years since my last ferry flight. Both ways-large (King Air, Pressurised Navajo) and small, Islander, Trislander, Aztec, Cherokee, Musketeer and Sundowner and many more.

The difference between a single and a twin is that 'a single has more range'. For the first 4 hours in a light twin, fuelled to 10% over max weight,it's going to go only one way if you lose an engine. After that you'll be on just one engine flying for at least four hours starting at gross weight. With cabin tanks in a single you can go on for ever. Once I did 14:30 Gander to Gander trying to get to Reyjavik in a Sundowner when the depression moved north and changed the winds and weather radically. (Couldn't find Narssasaq)

The real secret it to take time. I've spent 10 days in Reyjavik waiting for the weather and winds on the Reyjavik-Goose leg to improve. If flying west go in the daytime. The transatlantic airliners will be there ready to relay position reports and the like. They'll be interested in you too-on a discreeet freq. Going east, nightime is better for the same reason (+you can't see the ocean so you won't get so frightened!). Prestwick Reyjavik Goose and Gander met offices used to have (and probably still do) first class teams who would give accurate forecast 500mb winds in 5 degrees of longitude bands and accurate lowlevel weather and icing levels. This was all in the days long before GPS. Planning, more planning, loran and the beacons on the (long gone) weather ships meant I never missed Europe.

Much of this is also pschycological. Why would an engine fail in the next 12 hours of an ocean crossing if its a new a/c and come all the way (12 hrs?) from Wichita or Florida to the NE coast. Once you've delivered it people will fly it over high ground and probably above low cloud without a thought. Going west the a/c is unlikely to be new, and provided you KNOW it's maintenance record the same applies. The run to the ocean boundary will provide you with time enough to check the cruising/leaned-out fuel consumption as well as the oil levels and the cabin heater.

NE Canada is cold at this time of year. Greenland more so. It won't warm up until late March. A puff of cloud at this time of year will decorate you like a Christmas cake but give you much less pleasure. Leave any aspirations for a first crossing until late spring or the summer. Canadian winters can be brutal.

And if you ditch. Do you know exactly where you are? (Probably you do today with GPS). First you have to get the a/c onto the water, then climb out-uninjured with little shock and get into your dinghy. They then have to find you, and rescue you...Best chance is to alight on the ocean, let the aircraft sink to the ocean floor and then climb out and run like hell!!

Are you in your early twenties with nothing to lose. Just how hungry are you? This isn't an impossible task and newbies do it all the time (I've met people on honeymoon) but I'd certainly leave it until the better weather and keep pumping the brains here for regulations and survival tips. You'll find your hearing will improve out of all proportion. You'll be able to hear a pin drop in a crowded room-never mind the nuance of an engine note change.

Above all take your time. Don't schedule this for three days, budget for twice as much-then come back here and tell us all about it.

S