PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2009, 09:58
rokami93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anonymouse
Rokami93, by your comments and general attitude I take it that you have never been on the receiving end of a laser illumination
Yes, I have had laser reflections on my canopy before. A bit further up I explained. Also, laser in a club where I went out, passed my eye more than once. This is far closer than sitting in an aircraft.

His 'background' is taken into account as is the nature of the offence such as was it a single ilumination or a sustained one
I didn't want to make a statement or judge on a single case which I don't know and cannot evaluate. My statement was more of a general nature and aimed to other forum participants who seem to be in favor of lynching.

They are hit at a time when they at a critical stage of flight, with very few options! The people that target Police helicopters do not give a quick 1/1000 of a second sweep, that is just the attention getter, they continue to target the cockpit.
That is, indeed, nasty and stupid. But I guess we have make a difference between guys blinding police helicopters to keep them away from doing their job and a bunch of stupid kids trying to aim at passenger aircraft on their approach.

By your arguement firemen should never go into burning buildings to rescue people because they are at risk!
Anon, let's carefully balance the reasons and awaited outcome for the doings of a fireman who knows that there is someone about to die in a burning house if he doesn't get in and rescues him and on the other side an eager policeman in his 3 million dollar helicopter and 500 l of fuel over residential areas chasing kids which make the stupid intent to reach the eye of an airline captain in his cockpit are completely different stories.
  • What is the probability that someone gets harmed when kids are pointing with a laser on a landing aircraft? - Near zero.
  • How much harm will we cause to a kid and to public interest chasing it down in a 3-million-dollar-helicopter? -Maybe 2000 Bucks for the helicopter and 20-60K for prosecution and jail time which we could have used for education.?
If our only answer to idiocy is punishment and jail, we will eventually end up like the US where an explosion in inmate numbers in recent years means that although the US makes up 5% of the total global population, it now accounts for 25% of the world's prisoners. If it goes on like that, they will eventually end up locking up themselves.

Originally Posted by 10002leve
It is sad though that he comes from the small village where my parents live.
Would it be any better for aviation if the fool would come from a big city a bit further away from your parents' house?

Originally Posted by 10002leve
BTW, does anyone know why the "a" in l a s e r becomes "@"??
Google for A S E suppression filters or read this thread. It has been answered a few times before. Your question reflects typical lack of knowledge, lack of respect and disregard of netiquette. Would you lock yourself up now for a while, please?

Last edited by rokami93; 19th Dec 2009 at 10:11.