PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Herk SAR?
Thread: Herk SAR?
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2009, 07:40
Blighter Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear - lots of people posting with no real idea about how short of C130s the RAF is and how ineffective at Long Range SAR the fleet really is.

C130Js - all a bit busy at the moment. No external tanks so limited endurance. ASRA kit awaiting final release to service.

C130Ks - no airframes at all. 2 ASRA kits left in service. Good range and endurance but painfully slow - would you want to be at 30 West waiting for a frame from LYE? Weather radar average, comms relay and SAR top cover ability - limited at best. Crappy SAR homer and no 406 facility.

Have we got the aircraft? Perhaps - it sounds like a job for the Mk3 slicks of 70 Sqn if you ask me. Form an orderly queue fellas! I'd reckon BP would be the man for the job!
The boys have been in MPA for the last 6 years - MRR primary role with SAR standby only, 1312 Flt are well aware of the limitations of C130 SAR.
The C130J boys are in for a treat - no low flying, no AR due to VC10 fatigue limitations, no drops and constant SAR standby duties - enjoy.
The 'slicks' you refer too will all be retired by Jul 10 - so no airframes anyway.

And as I've done 3 long range SAR jobs and dropped ASRA for real I can tell you it's not easy, the C130K isn't a suitable platform and the kit we drop (if we can find you) isn't great.

Unfortunatley Stoppers, if you keep saying we can with platforms we shouldn't then the capability gaps just get bigger.