PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK 74F down in PHC?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2001, 03:57
NdekePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MK have an experienced mix of pilots, ex military, ex airline etc and fly into places many other operators fear to tread, carrying everything from grapes to disaster relief supplies...the classic case of "anywhere, anytime".
I have been sat on the freight apron at the "delightful" Lagos Mohammed Murtalla airport with a bunch of pilots and engineers for close on 12 hours in the glaring heat trying to resurrect a sick 1900 and been watched disdainfully by a European operator from their nice, airconditioned, well stocked, "purple lettered" 757. In taxies MK's 747 and the crew hop out and bring us a case of bottled mineral water, bags of fruit and a tray of sandwiches, and invite us to cool off in their fridgelike cabin. I guess not everyone has lost the "spirit" of aviation, and I don't find it too surprising that many of those who do still have it are either from, or work in Africa. This is a place where you look out for each other, generally regardless of the writing on the side of your aircraft.
And as for being "foreigners" over here, a lot of pilots of European origin are "over there", indeed often get their first break there with regards to hours and experience, before returning to the UK etc for that coveted airline job.
It is yet another tragedy in aviation, and regardless of what people think of the operator, surely it is bad taste to forward anything other than condolences in this instance?
May they only get stronger, and move on from this unfortunate accident.