PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation does it lead to complacency?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2009, 22:37
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to use IO540's regular posts about no one should fly without a GPS etc etc and most flights can not be done without a GPS and others such as;

This is why most people fly NDB approaches using a GPS, checking the ADF at the FAF or whatever but ignoring it afterwards.
Which makes me wonder why they are ignoring an approach aid that they describe as being;

Originally Posted by IO540
In principle the system is as accurate as a VOR.
But IO540 has proven the point I was going to make for me.

------------

Many pilots these days can not fly unless they have serviceable electronic crutches to aid their handicaped flying abilities.

If they find that the GPS is u/s, they cancel the flight. So all safe there.

However, what happens when something fails mid-flight is ignored on their part and often the cause of at best an incident and at worst an accident.

For example, thinking that ADF is as accurate as VOR and basing one's minimum safe level on that is a recipe for CFIT.

I say this because AP disconnection is done by a red button in the yoke and normally one holds the yoke when the button is being pressed - partly because that is totally normal and partly because most GA APs don't fly with perfect elevator trim so when you disconnect it, there is a bit of trimming to do manually.

But everybody who flies (for real, not in a sim) with an AP knows all this anyway....
I can think of a good 10 or 12 ways to disconnect the autopilot in an aircraft I fly without ever touching the "red button" disconnect on the control column.

I can think of 10 to 12 more reasons why it will disconnect (and not reconnect) no matter what I do.

With something basic like the typical GA autopilot there is 4 ways that instantly come to mind.

Over reliance on automation and not knowing the full capabilities / operation of that system are a killer.

Problem is that often those shouting loudest these days are the ones who say that only an idiot would try to fly from A to B without some electronic kit showing how and anyone who can make an IMC flight from A to B with in navigation terms nothing more than a compass, stopwatch and map and a VHF comm radio is a relic of the past.

I fly aircraft with 3 GPS, 3 IRS and lots of other lovely modern electronic kit. That is why when I pass 54N 30W I note the time on the clock (plog and chart) and 10 minutes later plot the indicated position on the map...........all because there is absolutely no chance of having 3 GPS and 3 IRS all fail at the same time - is there????????

The problem often is that small aircraft pilots try to be airline pilots by using their version of EFIS etc etc but don't realise that airline pilots always have raw data back-up (when available) and several back-ups including watch and heading to crosscheck everything..........the difference being that the airline pilot is not operating at max and has the capacity to crosscheck.

Isn't it lovely using GPS - IFR flight, all programmed in there. Just like the airline pilot's FMS. Get a direct to a waypoint 300 miles away and punch it in and away you go.........except that the airline pilot will make several crosschecks and record abeam planned waypoint times to check that the plan is proceeding correctly.......the average TB pilot with an IR is going to sit there doing didly squat for 300 miles.

Perhaps it is time to make single pilot CRM a mandatory addition to the IR course?

Ask the pilot who insists that one is never going to have to use map and compass if one has dual GARMIN panel mounts, 2 VOR, DME etc etc etc what they do with an electrical fire and how they are going to keep everything safe while they figure out which box is putting out the smoke?

I can point the finger at quite a few pilots who faced with smoke from behind thre pannel in IMC on a bumpy day would not immediately switch off all electrics (master off)........because they can't cope with not having their crutch.......and will risk poisioning themselves and their passengers with the fumes while they try one item after another to find the source of the ever growing smoke.

IO540?.........would you (could you) turn off the master and continue the flight with watch and compass?

Doubt it - would rather die than become one of those old farts who use such things.

(Sits back and waits for the "I always have a handleld GPS in my case")