PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Airways in the UK?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2009, 21:27
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victor Airways are just "advisory routes" really. A VFR pilot can bash around them, through them, in them whenever they like too.
That, presumably, is because the USA has Class E from 1200ft to 17999ft, and Class E is UNcontrolled for VFR

The USA balances this great VFR freedom with strict enforcement (to the extent that this is possible using witnesses, i.e. near departure/arrival airports) of illegal VFR in IMC, and a readily accessible IR. This probably means there is less "VFR in IMC" over there than here.

I think it's relevant to see the US system as a whole picture. It all comes together well. But we are never likely to get such a whole package over here.

IMHO the reason why the extensive French Class E (typ. FL065-FL115) which bears a lot of similarity to the US 1200ft-17999ft Class E, works in the relaxed way it does, despite the ability to file Eurocontrol IFR routes through it, is because very few French pilots fly as high as FL065. As far as I can tell, the vast bulk of French GA activity comprises of short local inter-club outings, done mostly at low level.

Sorry, but it appears that IO540 is massively exaggerating the difficulty of the issue.
I am always ready to be educated... feel free to contribute in the appropriate detail.

If you want any specific advice CT from someone who has flown hundred of hours IFR all across Europe in unpressurised aircraft drop me a PM.
Gosh we must have met but I don't recognise your nickname. Is it by any chance a duplicate of another one?

I don't fly a pressurised plane - couldn't afford one. But I'd like to know how you manage to find clouds which are consistently lower than the ones I find The good thing about IFR (with an IR) is that the only thing one is up against is the weather - not ATC - and altitude capability is the best way to deal with it. Sure one can hack one's way in IMC for hours, with decent de-icing etc and reasonably "robust" passengers.

Last edited by IO540; 18th Dec 2009 at 21:43.