PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2009, 21:24
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad used to tell me tales of BOAC forcing SAS and KLM out of PIK and then buggering off themselves a few years later.
Skipness
Forgotten about the goings on at PIK! BOAC of course stopped SN doing transatlantics from MAN - they were the first with the jet (707) whilst BOAC were still using Britannias. Then it was the turn of EI to get shafted as their 5th freedom services through MAN were curtailed (in the 70's or early 80s I think)

You write elsewhere about the BA Cabin Crew working practices. I think it was one of those that did for the LGW-MAN-ISB 747 services as they had to slip a crew at MAN, so increasing their costs. When they withdrew the route, (no doubt due to high costs), BA then announced that there would be no inconvenience as pax could still fly via the LGW shuttle and pick up the 747 for LGW-ISB. Yes that's two sectors and a transfer instead of a direct flight. It was an excellent own goal by BA PR as the airport used it extensively in the regional media and for lobbying purposes to demonstrate BA's disdain for passengers in the region.

And I heard that allegedly the costs of repatriating MAN bound baggage mishandled at LHR, particularly between T4 and T1 in the early days of T4 when there was a good chance your bag would not arrive from LHR with you, was paid for by the BA station at MAN, not LHR....

What with all the spoiling tactics, lack of committment and arrogant attitude, a lot of people in the North with long memories, often in the business community, are put off using BA. And potential pax who are not aware of this long history, I guess are now wary about travelling on BA because of the uncertainty of whether there will be a strike or not! Maybe they will try some of the other alternatives from MAN, so hopefully some good will come out of it for MAN (and other regional airport services).

As you say, there may not be a commercial way back for BA by the time it is all sorted out as the Union appear to be going to re-ballot

Suzeman