PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American MD80 rough landing CLT/leaves debris!
Old 18th Dec 2009, 21:21
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry, but it has nothing to do with macho behavior, it's just the only way this Aircraft can perform LV app...and Has been doing so for 17 years

Fair enough; Unfortunately you do not care to mention which aircraft you are talking about. At the moment. we are discussing scheduled airline operations, subject to a myriad of international rules and regulations.

Sure, any competent pilot on a good day should be able to keep the needles centred all the way down to 50' DH/200m RVR. My point is, do you really want to be doing this on the last approach of a long duty day/night? Asking for trouble IMHO, which is why the vast majority of airlines that are serious about Low Vis Ops mandate autoland, with very strict criteria about when a GA should be conducted.

Yes, it's an expensive business keeping crew and aircraft qualified, but we owe it to those people riding down the back (and that includes you and me). Also to stay out of the newspaper headlines!