PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can dogs be passengers ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2009, 19:35
rauxaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAKEOFF TUBE Worldwide Aviation Videos - Flying dog!

As an experienced dog owner and pilot I would say its all about the dog's temperament, if unsure try a few fast taxi runs first to gauge the reaction but do not, do not reward the dog for being in a stress situation... this will only reinforce any suspicion of being in a threatening environment, we need to present the experience as quite normal.

One of my previous dogs used to travel with me whenever possible, he started as an 8 week puppy in a cardboard box on the adjacent seat and was always great fun.

My present pedigree mutt is rather "strung" and if I wanted to go flying with her this will require a careful introduction but is not impossible... I now have use of a Piper Arrow and am seriously considering an introduction this spring time.

I believe taking the dog out of the uk is not a problem, the problem is returning! The dog must have have been clear of rabies for at least 6 months which means a rabies treatment 8 months before the return (if treated now, the dog can return to the uk in July-Aug 2010) and must have had a certified tick and tape worm treatment 48 hrs prior to the return (the vets in L2k must be pretty busy).

Hope this helps.

R