PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-52
Thread: B-52
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2009, 18:16
IGh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good photo. Other accounts --

I hadn't read that account of the 10Jan64 VertStab failure -- could you cite the source (eg, magazine /date)?

Other more formal accounts were released after the BOAC B707 G-APFE / 5Mar66 investigation (odd since the USAF generally won't offer "analysis" for public reports describing their mishaps). Another interesting coincidence was the LOCATION of the mishap (downwind of Spanish Peaks), later NTSB found _pilots_ of a civil airliner as cause for a turbulence mishap near that same location (A320/ 19Apr01 rpt tags location as "Raton" with unusual P.C. because Board generally treated turb-injuries as an act of God)

Here's an early pilot’s account of the B-52 that suffered fracture & separation of its Vert’ Stab’ from Boeing memorandum dated Jan 28’64:
“… flown trough an area containing the combined effects of a rotor associated with a mountain wave and lateral shear due to airflow around a large peak…. Gust initially built up from the right to a maximum of about 45 feet per second (TAS), then reversed to a maximum of 36 feet per second from the left, before swinging … to a maximum of about 147 feet per second … from the left … followed by a return to 31 feet per second …”
Her's an excerpt from _Aerospace Safety_, April’64:
“As the encounter progressed … a very sharp- edged blow which was followed by many more…. We developed an almost instantaneous rate of roll at fairly high rate. The roll was to the far left and the nose was swinging up and to the right at a rapid rate. During the second portion of the encounter, the airplane motions actually seemed to be negating my control inputs. I had the rudder to the firewall, the column in my lap, and full wheel, and I wasn’t having any luck righting the airplane….”

Last edited by IGh; 12th May 2014 at 14:50. Reason: re-post photo (earlier dead-link now gone)