PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 First Flight - Signs of Trouble Ahead?
Old 18th Dec 2009, 15:19
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but your suggested load alleviation would not change anything on the bending moment on the wing root!
If you deflect the ailerons upward, the loss of lift on the outer wing has to be compensated by the inner part - the resulting bending moment on the root is exactly the same!
I think this is wrong. It's all to do with moments. If you moved the total lift of the wing out to the wingtip, the same lift is still there, but the bending moment would be immense. Move the lift to near the root and the bending moment would be minute, but the lift would still be the same. Aileron upfloat moves each wing'
s centre of lift inwards and reduces the bending moment, and reduces the wing flexing moment allowing a lighter structure. The VC10 used to take it off at 24,000'- I don't know if the 787 does the same. It also helps prevent adverse aileron drag in a roll as the downgoing aileron initially moves into the general wing shape whilst the upgoing aileron initiates a downforce immediately. So no adverse yaw in a turn if you design it right.

Rather than aerodynamics, a more interesting discussion would be on the technical aspects of this aeroplane. Presumably 2 (BIG!)alternators per engine plus ELRAT? Has everything ended up being electric- no hydraulics? Obviously all planned, but single engine raising of the gear with aircon packs, and maybe flaps being raised AND tailplane being trimmed? Quite an immense demand! I expect ALL the lights would go out, and galleys load shed! And how do the brakes work? I have never seen electrical wheel brakes. Feel must be totally artificial. I just can't see how the electrical demand can all be handled at high workload times. All you need is those fancy pants screens suddenly going 'blue screen of death' on you! But I know Mr. Boeing knows his planes!