PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA Aircraft ditching - Irish Sea - 16th Dec
Old 18th Dec 2009, 14:57
cats_five

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Stable
<snip>
There is, indeed, a technique for getting into a liferaft if not equipped with steps. It's not easy at all.
<snip>
And I wonder if it's harder for a woman than a man, given women tend to be smaller and relatively weaker in the shoulders? I did a lot of dinghy racing in the past, which of course means I did a lot of climbing into dinghies from the water and even with a dinghy with only 4" or so of freeboard it was hard, even when I was slim and very fit.

But I suspect the liferaft would at least be much easier to spot from the air than a person in the water, and if that is the case hanging onto it is a probably good thing so long as sea conditions allow.

I'm almost certain the immersion saved MLB's life - the sea is very cold at present and survival time is measure in a handful of minutes at best. MLB's hubby is to be commended for insisting on it. Hope she never needs to use it in earnest again!

There is so much utter bks on Pprune, but once in a while an utter gem comes along and the post from MLB is one of them.