PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your helicopter carbon footprint?
Old 18th Dec 2009, 11:20
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks wallsend.
i went to save it and found that mrs tet has already saved it here.

another little book written in the same vein is 'The climate caper' by Garth W Parltridge, published by connor court. ISBN978-1-921421-25-9.

Paltridge is an atmospheric physicist and chief research scientist with our CSIRO, before becoming director of the institute of antartic and Southern ocean studies. A fellow of the OZ academy of sciences, an honourory research fellow of the tasmaninan uni and a visiting fellow of the ANU. However he is best known for his work on atmospheric radiation and the theoretical basis of climate.
Only 120 pages, an easy airplane ride read. He delves not so much into either side of the debate but remains neutral in this work and talks about how and why the debate has been progressed by various parties.

You'll see the same sort of analysis in many areas.

lets say heart disease.

Just because you take some sort of medication there is some sort of study around that says that you have a 33% better chance of staying alive.

what they don't say is that the "study", whether or not it's peer reviewed correctly, actually only indicated a drop of one percent of death rate from 98 to 97 %.
work it out for yourself.

That's the argument mostly behind statin usage for example.

They also will completely overlook another study that will predict that you will have up to a 2% higher chance (er that's up from 97 to 98% for the realists)of dying from cancer or especially stroke if you take the same medicine within the same timeframe. very easy logic.

Me I'd rather retain the integrity of my cellular structure in my cranium arterial network and stay away from statins. Just my viewpoint
cheers tet

ps by the time you read the climate caper, we might all be reaching for a book on survival capers, not written by albore.

pps, I fogot to mention, but I suppose that you would have seen it already that Lord Monckton was knocked over and knocked out by some thug of dumbass danish copper when he was refused entry into the convention. He was in company with one of our senators.
Senator Fielding of south oz who has been a saviour in the climate debate, trying to retain some common sense. Himself a scientist and his main advisor is one Professor Ian Plimer, who also makes very good reading.