PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways rejected takeoff in Cape Town (video)
Old 17th Dec 2009, 23:46
Basil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was an EXTREMELY gentle manoeuvre.
One day at Paris I had an engine surge in a B747 freighter at the beginning of the take off roll. That makes a series of VERY loud bangs. (and I'm ex artillery)
We taxied off the runway and the First Officer, Flight Engineer and I discussed the problem. We agreed that we would have one more attempt and then, if the engine surged, it was back to the ground engineers. All went well and we had a beer in Dubai as planned.
If I had been flying a passenger aircraft the decision would not have been as simple. We would have been very aware that a surge, with the accompanying bangs and flames from the front and rear of the engine, is a frightening experience for the passengers. I would have explained the technicalities and asked the cabin crew how the passengers were taking it and included that in my decision making.

Engines, at lower altitudes, sometimes stop surging when the air is going straight in the hole at the front. There's a great youtube clip of one which didn't. If I can find it I'll append it.