PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 First Flight - Signs of Trouble Ahead?
Old 17th Dec 2009, 18:57
RumourMerchant69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we get this straight? Are we talking about aileron 'droop' or 'upfloat'? Upfloat I can understand. But I do find it extraordinary that a correspondent thinks he has spotted design flaws from a company like Boeing on a maiden flight. Arrogance in misplaced self-confidence! He could have asked rather than approach the issue so negatively (and make a plonker of himself!).
If you are referring to my comment that started this thread then I think it has been totally misinterpreted. My observation was a noticeable negative aileron deflection (clearly visible in the videos) and a question/theory as to why that might be the case. It is not uncommon for first test flights to be performed with some sort of reduced flight envelope, particularly where structural certification testing is not yet complete due to re-work and repairs (as is the case here I believe), but it is not always as obvious as using load alleviation in this way.

Note that I am not suggesting that this deflection is an inadvertant result of a design flaw - quite the opposite. In modern aircraft it is possible to intentionally use ailerons, flaps spoilers in various combinations to alter spanwise loading. I was simply observing that it looks like they are doing that to reduce the load envelope for early testing. My question was why they need to protect the envelope to that extent.

If making an observation and bothering to question 'why?' with a few fairly rational supporting statements makes me a 'Plonker' as you so eloquently state, then I will wear that badge with pride.