PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cutbacks, the Silver Lining
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2009, 17:49
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Wrath,
Not intended to be a slight however, since you asked:

Falklands '82, Beruit x2, Banner (NI), Gulf 1 & 2, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Afghanistan, Op Haven (Turkey). I'm sure some old sweats will add more. Pretty sure that only the Harrier played in all of these campaigns and yet it seems to be the sacrificial FJ platform at the moment.

No, the Chinook didn't stay & do "no fly zones", but it was doing Haven, Banner and the Falklands at the same time. Chinook was in FRY from 94-02ish, FI 82-07, NI 82 - 08, Iraq 91/92 and 03-05 and AFG 02 and 05-present. Rather more dets than the GR4/F3 force from substantially less ac/sqns with a higher % of the fleet deployed. Oh and Harrier had to withdraw from AFG to "reset" -no such luck for the CH47. Like I said, just an observation.

Wasn't looking to compare with the other "cinderella" fleets in the AT world as the original post seemed to be concerned at the reduction in FJ numbers to invest in the RW fleet.

Yes, some of the FJ fleets worked hard in some of the campaigns (esp the GR4 guys in Iraq), but the original post was meant to rebutt suggestions that investing in more CH47 now was a waste of resources - given the usefullness of the platform I'd suggest that it's money well spent.

So, yes it's been involved in some stage in all of the campaigns - and some it's stayed for a prolonged time.