PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation does it lead to complacency?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2009, 12:02
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we don't hear of aeroplanes crashing all over the world because of automation complacency there has been a relative increase in loss of control accidents in IMC due to the pilots showing marked reluctance to disengage the automatics and recover manually from an unusual attitude. This is a direct result of lack of pure flying skills which can only be retained if the pilots are allowed to hand fly when suitable opportunities permit. I think there is little doubt that many airline pilots are simply too lethargic to disconnect the automatics for practice hand flying in IMC even though the conditions permit.

I have often observed the astounding ineptitude of many four bar experienced airline pilots to rapidly fix their position by reference to an RMI/VOR/ADF/DME position line. This is primarily because their entire airline navigation career is based on the the infallible (?) MAP and Magenta line. An ATC request for their present VOR radial and DME is often met with a a stunned look between the two pilots up front. For instance they find the DME part is easy - but reading an RMI? - now they are confused trying to remember is it the head or the tail of the needle that gives the radial? During manoeuvering in IMC within say within 20 miles of a navaid equipped airport you freeze the simulator and say "Excuse moi, chaps- could you please point to where we are right now on your Jepps chart - and are we currently at a safe altitude with reference to the published MSA?"

You would laugh at the much pursing of lips as charts are turned upside down and even sideways and frowns are directed at RMI needles and people wonder why they cannot get a cross-bearing fix because they forget they are still on a localiser frequency and not a VOR frequency. Situational Awareness is a much hackneyed phrase, but believe me there are a lot of so called professional pilots that quickly lose the plot without the security and comfort of radar vectors.