PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2009, 11:26
rokami93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cubbie
These can be focused by the lens (in the eye) into a very small and powerful spot capable of burning the retina and blinding people.
For how long do you think you can reasonably focus the laser to the the eye of a pilot in an aircraft flying with a speed of 230 kts or 440 km/h, 1000 m above? You fly with a speed of 120 m/s and what could the be size of the laser to hit your eye?

It will pass for a fraction of a second, and it distracts, disturbs or whatsoever, but it doesn't harm. At least not that much that it justifies to put an 18 year old to jail.

Originally Posted by ChristiaanJ
And with helicopters in particular, it's not that difficult to "hold the beam on the target".
You are right on that, especially for pilots of helicopters flying at night with scratched canopies it can be annoying. And please, don't get me wrong: I don't think it is good, excuseable or any better because it is more of an issue to a helicopter pilot at night. Btw, if you fly with a scratched canopy it will also be very annoying flying against the sun, so I would work on that.

Nevertheless, the cases I have read so far they explained a scenario where an airline pilot in its cockpit called the attention to the police. The police then flew right to the area where the lasers were detected and followed them. If they were worried at all that they could risk their life or loose control of their helicopter, they wouldn't have opted for this way of chasing down the elements of crime?

Originally Posted by christiaanJ
I think you're simply missing a point.
Maybe you missed it: my point is that the issue is exaggerated, not wrong. Something needs and should be done about it, but I don't think it is that dangerous that it justifies to lock up a stupid kid with criminals.

Originally Posted by Bronx
Whatever you as a 300 hr PPL think, it's a real problem to professional pilots in many parts of the world.
I didn't take the time to look up your qualifications, but I am quite sure no one has ever lost control of the aircraft because of a laser, not even you although it seems you get irritated quite easily.

Again, don't get me wrong: it is stupid to la-ser aircraft. As much as I hate it when kids pressed all the buttons of the elevator I am hopping in and this way making it stop on every floor before I can get out again. But it is not that dangerous that you have to declare a stupid kid a criminal one and lock it up with criminals.