PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African ATC
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2009, 10:28
RadarMaggot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late 1976

With Maestro (sequencing tool) not being used (ACC doesn't want to for an acceptable reason), the standard inbound separation from ACC must be 15nm at the feeder fix (according to the SSI's), but if you don't tell ACC you want 15nm, it's just a case of "I wasn't told (on the handover)". I must say that there are definitely exceptions to this as well!!

Definitely no names can be mentioned, especially on a rumour site.

The following could ring a bell:
1) 5nm separation in LVP,
2) less than 5nm on final approach without even flinching TWR must "catch"...
3) sending acft on departure direct to FIR exit points, on first contact, during nightshift
4) let FAGM have an airshow and continue OPS NML on Radar (yes I know it has been done in the past with al the Notam, TFC info etc)

and my personal favourites:
5) calibration on RWY 21L, with departures from RWY 03L crossing abeam the calibration acft (some at the same altitude) - poor TCAS must be going ape-sh !
6) TWR calls radar to turn no 1 DEP as no 2 is already rolling to accommodate a landing on RWY 03L

Concerns and rulebreaking have been reported to the managers, but after an 'investigation' it is ruled that:

1) It wasn't really LVP...
2) VMC by day, vicinity of aerodrome perhaps (this is just a guess).
3) Just look at what great service is being provided.
4) No comment!
5) The ILS must be calibrated! (And I know it has a certificate only valid for a certain period, problems with calibration acft etc etc...)
6) Refer to no 3

I just wonder if this (no 5) happens anywhere else in the world? And if so, surely the TWR waits for the calibration acft to cross (or very close to)threshold of opposite RWY before letting a departure go... Just curious.

Last edited by RadarMaggot; 17th Dec 2009 at 10:38. Reason: more info