PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Water Bomber for Victoria
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2009, 02:09
Wunwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bellsux

Why are the Trackers a "chestnut"? The Mac' Dictionary defines a chestnut
among other things as a stale joke or anecdote".I assume that is what you think the conversion of the Trackers is?

As far as the industry having big investments I couldn't agree with you more. By definition any transport mode including aviation has big investments. If you are referring to the fire supression part of aviation then I suggest that no one has the monopoly on that.If you or anyone has large investments in equipment that has no other use than fire supression without firm contracts or commitments then that is bad business.You appear to be saying as have others, that the current operators don't want competition.

Like most threads that grow and in this case the thread is not all that big, read all the posts before commenting.The thread was started because of the Vic government bringing in a DC10.That shows that at least one level of Government is willing to spend additional money on large firebombers.What I am saying is that I, among others believe that that money would be better spent on a number of resident larger fire bombers. This is how the rest of the world functions.I don't understand why we are different. Fires are fires no matter what language we speak or what direction the bathwater goes down the sink.

As far as the Trackers I am aware of at least 2 airwork operators, currently not in the firebombing business, who are interested in some Tracker aircraft for firebombing. Since all 11 are currently for sale I guess we will soon see if its a genuine interest or not.

As far as the suitability of the Trackers for conversion, the number used overseas would indicate that they are suitable for the purpose including Eucalypt fires. Having said that, clearly there is a move to bigger units, with Conair converting to CV580s including 2 recently ex Australian aircraft, Airspray to L188s and Aerounion to Orions.

For converting Trackers, there appears to be 2 different conversions with the Conair Firecat the better option weight wise.Given the skill level here I don't see why those conversions couldn't be done under license here. by existing companies who already have a large industry investment in equipmentand skills.

Wunwing

Last edited by Wunwing; 17th Dec 2009 at 02:26.