PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain film
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2009, 02:08
cinema1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"An excellent subject! I first read "Fly For Your Life" at about the age of seven or eight, shortly after seeing the Battle of Britain Film and recently sought out a copy to add to the library. A superb book."

Since you're a fan of the book, let me share a few tidbits I've discovered during my research. As you know, the book only briefly touches on Tuck's escape from prison camp and subsequent (and rather arduous) journey back to the UK. It's come to my attention that he kept detailed memoirs of this time period. These could be made available to me at some point, depending on how this project goes. These writings have not seen the light of day for many years.

Sadly, I've also learned that the merchant ship on which Tuck served, the Marconi, was sunk in 1941 by the Germans with a number of hands lost. And, I even found pictures of the ship, the layout of which I needed for some of my scenes. I know it's off topic, so I won't post them here. Glad to send 'em if you like.

Also worthy of note -- although Larry Forrester is gone, his widow is alive and well, and I was extremely fortunate to find their original literary agent, who still had her address after all these years.