PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New military aviation 'body' to set up.
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2009, 16:49
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
New statement from Charles Haddon-Cave

Issued this evening 16 Dec 2009
STATEMENT
BY MR CHARLES HADDON-CAVE QC

“I welcome the statement by the Secretary of State for Defence, Rt Hon. Bob Ainsworth MP, in the Commons today regarding the MOD’s plans to implement the recommendations in my Report published on 28 October 2008.

“I welcome the acceptance by the Secretary of State and the MOD of the vast majority (80 out of 84) of my recommendations and, in particular, the creation of a new independent Military Airworthiness Authority under a 3-star officer, the setting up an entirely new Duty Holder structure, the implementation a new approach to Safety Cases, the establishment of a new Service Inquiry regime and Joint Service Military Air Accident Investigation Branch (MAAIB), the re-writing of the current Military Airworthiness document set, the appointment of a Chief Engineer to support each Aircraft Operating Authority, the addressing of personnel weaknesses in engineering skills, the re-examination of the MOD’s relationship with Industry as a whole, a new strategy for Acquisition Reform and the adoption of the new Principles which I have recommended.

“The Secretary of State told the Commons that, in all, the plan amounted to ‘the most radical reform to the MOD’s approach to airworthiness procedures since military aviation began’.

“In the final paragraph of my Report (paragraph 29.7) I said ‘The most fitting memorial to the loss of the crew of XV230 will be that the lessons from their sacrifice are truly learned, and the Recommendations which I have set out are fully implemented’.

“I pay tribute to the Secretary of State and the staff in the Armed Forces and MOD for the speed and thoroughness with which they have sought to address the numerous recommendations in my Report. I look forward to the full implementation of the plan.”