View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2009, 11:46
Twitcher

Location: EGMH..a down, not yet out, formerly awesome airfield
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from local news

due the current closure of Coventry this may change, but... from local news:
>
The life saving air sea rescue service based at Manston is set to be relocated to the Midlands at the end of this month.

But campaigners are warning that the delay in reaching emergency scenes because of the extra miles could cost lives.

The plans have been put forward by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency as part of moves to reorganise emergency services.

South Thanet Conservative parliamentary candidate Laura Sandys said she understands the relocation will take place on December 31.

“We are hearing that the plan is to move the aircraft to Coventry. This will means it will take extra minutes to get to the rescue scene and those extra minutes could cost lives,” said Ms Sandys.

‘’If you are waiting to be pulled out of the freezing water you do not want any delays.

‘’The system we have in place works very well because the airport properly accommodates the service. That would not be the case at Coventry. In my understanding it is a busier airport so more barriers to emergency response would go up.

‘’I also understand it is the case that Coventry Airport is in administration for financial reasons so the service would in turn have to be moved to Birmingham – an even busier and further away airport.’’

Canterbury MP Julian Brazier has written to Paul Clark, the Shipping Minister plans to scrap emergency flights from Manston.

In his letter Mr Brazier said: “I have been contacted by Laura Sandys the PPC for South Thanet as both a Kent MP and Shadow Minister for Shipping regarding scrapping of Air Sea Rescue from Manston. I share Laura’s concern and know that it will be echoed by a great many residents.

“A sea rescue plane is currently available for emergencies flying out of Manston Airport. Responding to a Dover alert, it can be up and at the scene within half an hour, but normally within 20 minutes from the alert -this includes travel time and all airport checks.

“This service currently covers rescue across the Channel, which is the busiest waterway in the world. It also forms part of the protection for leisure boats, yachtsmen, our fishing fleet and commercial shipping.”

Mr Brazier went on to say he understands the aircraft is to be relocated

He said: “The Coventry based aircraft itself will not have the capacity to carry a dinghy similar to the one that is used from Manston. Even without the necessary air traffic checks and without travel time to the aircraft, the time from Coventry to a Channel site would be 35 minutes. This makes all those currently safeguarded by the current arrangement more vulnerable.

“While I appreciate that in difficult economic times all departments and services are required to reduce cost. I am deeply concerned about this proposal.”