PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet/CTC Cadet Pilot Slavery Contract
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2009, 09:47
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disgusting

I have to say that this contract is utterly beyond belief - the industry really is going to hell in a handcart faster than I thought.

I was at a major UK airport the other day chatting with our refueller. We got onto the subject of salaries etc and even he was surprised when he discovered that his £30k basic salary was more than I am on as a turboprop F/O - it makes you wonder when the guy fuelling the plane is earning more than the bloke flying it... I wonder if the pax realise it!

Having said that my own turboprop type rating, hotels, uniforms etc were paid for the company and I was paid a full F/O salary from day one of the induction week so compared to the likes of Easy and Ryan they're actually offering a far better deal to low hours guys.

I would strongly suggest however that bright young things should seriously question the merits of an airline career nowadays - in the loco sector it's not glamorous, it's very poorly paid, the employment prospects are awful and the disruption to your social and personal life and sleep cycles is damaging in the longer term. I just can't understand anybody wanting to do it given the way the industry is heading.

I for one support BA cabin crew in seeking to preserve their terms and conditions - the problem it seems to me isn't that they're paid too much but that the rest of the industry pays too little.

Desk-pilot