PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Water Bomber for Victoria
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2009, 01:35
Wunwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley
The reason that every fire season the subject of heavy fire bomber comes up is because as an aviation industry we look on in amazement as we attempt to fight fires with small aircraft and helicopters while the rest of the world supplements the lighties with heavies.I for one after extensive discussions with experts can't see why we are different to the rest of the world who seems to use the heavies mainly to extinguish inaccessable fires early after they start.

My suspicion is further aroused by academic papers that make statements that heavies have been trialed here but don't work. The only reference that I can find for heavy trials are solo F27, DC6 and Canadairall at different times. The rest of the world uses multiple heavy aircraft. Why are we different?

The reason that the Trackers come up is (a) they are here and in resonable condition and (b) they seem to work in California where they are used extensivily against similar fires to those that we experience here.The arrival of the DC10 at such short notice shows that even in tight times Government can find money. I for one would rather see that much money funding a number of L188/C130/Orion types distributed around the country.

Wunwing