PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Level Aerobatics
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2002, 12:50
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I will not prolong the argument, I maintain my position, irrespective of rules, regs and the like.

Anyone practising GA of any kind in this God-forsaken, NIMBY-ridden country is an a**e if they lack the sensitivity to:

1. Think about the public's perception of what they are doing

2. Minimise their noise & visual intrusion

3. Vary their practice locations

4. fly at a height which will not lead to non-aviation minded individuals (the vast majority) assuming/ reporting the worst.

Such behaviour could endanger local airfields, ruin every local pilot's reputation, put at risk future initiatives for new strips, etc etc. In short it's SELFISH.

I don't agree with the NIMBY view. But I have to accept that it exists, there's more of them than us, that we have to acknowledge that they are there and are always better organised than us in GA.

I dont regard my position as being stupid. I regard it as taking cognisance of the wretched world we live in here in the UK. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the UK, therefore I want to be able to keep flying. So less selfishness & more long-term-ism on the part of others would assist all of us.

I'm speaking from experience, where a strip has had terrible restrictions placed on it because of whipped up hysteria from NIMBYs over aeros, takeoffs & landings.

Sorry, I dont do aeros competitions, I just enjoy flying but am severely restricted because of NIMBYism.

You might think that I'm stupid (after all as you state, you're entitled to your opinion), but I don't think so. I could be tempted to generalise about aero-practitioners attitudes but that would be grossly unfair to generalise.........