PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ppl
Thread: Ppl
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2002, 12:05
notice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

This proves, again, that nowhere, or nothing, suits everyone and don't forget that private flying is NEVER cheap. It is certainly much cheaper and arguably better in the US, OZ, SA etc. but you will need to travel there and buy a significant amount of time/training to make your trip worthwhile.

The different weather/RT in UK is a point and we fly on the left ! but differences are helpful because they add to one's knowledge and experience. Proper briefing and local 'knowledge' are always important but BEWARE- familiarity breeds contempt.

Although awareness of (stereo)typical local conditions is essential, nothing and no-one should ever be relied upon. Even if you've flown in an area regularly, there is an ever present risk and likelihood that, one fine day as they say, there'll be something nasty you 'weren't expecting' or 'hadn't noticed'.

Flying in any new, to you, area or equipment requires basic briefing and training. You might (think you) know everything about East of the Pennines, or East of Orlando, but you would obviously research local conditions and practices if you then went flying South of the Downs, or South of the Sierra Nevada. So, whether or not it's in a different country, anywhere new is always 'foreign'.

On the cost of a JAA PPL, I have copied my earlier posting below

To illuminate, for the benefit of the starters (as well as the knockers and schools sneakily selling, on PPRUNE), I have summarised the best offers from July's 'Pilot' magazine.

BTW, I am not recommending anywhere, as individual preferences are different and, if you have plenty of cash and time, you may prefer your local place, rather than a short course.
Also, be warned that any adverts./prices which quote 'per hour' or for a 'course' or 'inclusive' may still require you to spend a lot more money on what they say are essential, or other, extras, in order to obtain a valid licence application. Therefore, make sure you get a WRITTEN quote of the cost, of everything involved, direct from ANYWHERE you're considering.

£4050 (CLACTON) 01255 424671
£3995 (PRESTWICK) 01292 476523
$4495 (EFT) 001 561 466 4757
£2695* (OBA) 0800 892133
$3995 (BFC) 001 863 291 0992
£2995 (OFT) 001 407 518 7766

* price 'including night qualification and radio telephony'