PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skills Test
Thread: Skills Test
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2001, 11:36
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
£130 for a PPL Skill Test actually - nothing for an IMC test and £65 for a revalidation check. Goes on 6 monthly medicals, own revalidation costs, seminar travelling/accommodation costs, examiner association costs, various other meeting costs. Also bear in mind that it can be quite difficult to do much instructing at a particular club as you would not then be able to examine that 'applicant'.

Personally I don't claim for any travel costs from anyone, I was just stating that around 12p per mile wasn't unreasonable in my opinion. But I only act as an examiner in my spare time and don't want to be out of pocket for the privilege.

Incidentally, the CAA tells us that we should be paid in advance by the applicant - this I really don't like. But I understand that so involved with one US training outfit is one FE in the US that applicants pay for everything including the PPL Skill Test in advance and the school then pays the FE. They also only allocate a set period of time for the Skill Test which is NOT in their gift. But even worse is the behaviour of the FE who taps his pocket expecting a 'tip' for the test..................

I hope that's typical of just the one organisation, sorry I can't reveal which; they also have FIs who are so keen on 'hours building' that their students barely make the minimum solo time.........