PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2009, 14:10
Tom1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmmm....

I did not complete a medical questionnaire over email but I did complete one when I arrived at Swanicks Medical department before my NATS medical, just asking questions about my medical history. I also completed the same one before my CAA medical at Gatwick too but this one was sent in an email prior to my arrival... (maybe NATS are taking on the CAA's approach of emailing the questionnaire too?)

I did ask the NATS assisstant at Swanick why do we need to do two medicals... in hindsight it does seem a bit pointless because there is not much difference between them at all, if anything, I found the CAA one slightly more stricter as the eye test was definitely more thorougher... anyway, the explanation I received was that NATS do not have the authority (anymore!) to sign off an Intial class 3 med examination. Only the CAA can (So why bother with the NATS one!!). NATS however can sign off the annual re-newal of the medical.

My personal opinion is that the NATS medical doesn't cost the company anything (only time!) but the CAA medical costs £400+ which is a cost NATS will pay for. SO..I think "NATS fit" is a term NATS use so they only fork out one £400 for every candidate.......because they still have to pay the CAA £400 for a failure, and again for the re-take so I think NATS are just covering their financial backs with the first medical. That's only my opinion though !!!!

If your are doing your medicals round about now, looks like you will be heading for the Aug course but once that fills up you will be on the last one of the year (Oct/Nov is it?!) so my advice is to do your medicals at the earliest date provided to get your name penciled in on the earliest available course.

Tom