PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - john frohnsdorff elected BALPA General Secretary
Old 25th Jun 2002, 10:39
airrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuzzy thank you for that extremely well thought out and eloquently written response. Another person dissappointed by the Election results I take it.

If you read my post correctly you would have noticed that I said I agree in principle with, "you get out of BALPA what you put in". But I said it fails as an adequate response if used continually to quell a BALPA member simply because they are dissatisfied.

I am not DEMANDING anything for my 1% other than what BALPA represents. This is stated clearily on their website;

Employment Benefits
Financial Benefits
Enhanced careers
Quality of life
Improved salaries
Better pensions
Personal representation
Technical and Medical
Pilots Advisory Group

BALPA can help pilots and flight engineers secure jobs, get better jobs, and improve
their salaries and pensions.

In short, enhance their careers and their lifestyle.

BALPA offers personal representation and a wealth of technical and medical services.
And there is formidable legal and expert back-up in cases of incident, accident, loss of
licence and any discipliniary procedures.

Just as important is BALPA’s pursuit of flight crew interests with the Government and
with all the regulatory bodies in the UK, the rest of Europe and the world.

Back to my rant;
If as you say, I am demanding too much for my 1%, then perhaps it is BALPA trying to act like Father again and keeping it's financial difficulties from it's stupid children. If BALPA need to increase subscriptions to 2% or higher to provide for BALPA's activities then they should try Communicating this to us. As long as the funding requirement could be seen as necessary then I am sure we would accomodate this, like we've accomodated our employers for the last 10years.

You say;
"JF supports change for the sake of it and not just because it is needed." Re-read my last post.....change was needed. No one is denying CD probably worked as hard as he could for us, he failed by not establishing proper 2-way communication with members and if he did he would have realised we wanted stronger action. If our 1% was insufficient to accomplish our goals then he failed to Communicate this as well. Bob Ayling was probably a brilliant man who worked hard, with a great bussiness mind, yet he failed as a leader. Do you see any parallels. In todays world, it is just as important how you are perceived as what you accomplish quietly in the background. With all of the cheap tools available to one today, failing to Communicate is now defined as Arrogance or Ignorance of the changed world .......they call it the INFORMATION AGE.

Our expectations are not out of synch with the industry. BALPA's expectations/goals have been out of synch with it's members, this is now being rectified. I suggest that if you are a BALPA rep and believe the goals of the general membership are unattainable that you do us all a favour and resign immediately.

As for JF taking 2months to find a new GS, its better than having the wrong guy in place for 10years don't you think ? In the meantime I'm sure the BALPA HQ structural efficiencies will fall into place as they have been designed. I'm confident Graham Fowler is equally if not more competent than an absent GS off on the milk run at the Competition Commissions HQ's.

AS an aside;
I am wondering about the bitterness and anger being expressed by those who obviously never succeeded in getting their preferred GS candidate elected. What is it that those who voted for CD dislike the most about having a viewpoint considered in the minority ? Is it simply that you don't like getting your own way ? or is it the uneasiness caused by suddenly realising that your viewpoint is actually that held by the minority and not everyone ? by the way, does your spouse accuse you of always having to be right? you must be great CRM advocates. Elections over, the people have spoken, lets get on with the future.

Last edited by airrage; 25th Jun 2002 at 10:50.