PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK 74F down in PHC?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2001, 22:03
The Guvnor

Angry

I know that this will be unpopular, but it needs to be said. First, though, I would like to express sympathy for those directly involved - and of course the families of those killed.

My information from Nigeria is that initial findings are that the aircraft ran out of fuel.

MK has had considerably more than their statistical share of accidents and incidents - out of a total fleet of 12 aircraft operated, since 1992 they have lost two DC8s and have had at least one serious incident with their B747s (where ballast shifted because it was not properly secured, seriouly damaging the cargo hold and centre fuel tank).

They are an operation that is owned (and largely staffed) by Zimbabweans - many of whom are here illegally, without work permits or UK passports, working at MSE and at the company's 'technical base' in Sussex.

They have no genuine operational infrastructure in Ghana, yet operate under a Ghana AOC.

They are domiciled and openly headquartered in the UK yet the CAA is powerless to force them to apply for a UK AOC (despite many 'nudges' from the Belgrano).

They benefit from a lack of operational and safety oversight which allows them to cut costs and - more importantly - cut corners.

This, in turn, has allowed them to undercut EU airlines such as Cargo Lion, forcing them out of business.

They are, in short, the sort of dangerous flag of convenience pirate operator that Maggie Oldham used to get so wound up about.

This is not the first time that this company's poor standards have cost lives. And, unless the CAA/DTLR does something about them, nor will it be the last.

Over the last twelve months, there have been a number of threads about this company - some of which, sadly, have been very prophetic.

The chances are, you'll be sharing the skies with these aircraft. How safe do you feel?

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: The Guvnor ]