PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet/CTC Cadet Pilot Slavery Contract
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2009, 08:09
northern boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all those having a good old go. Excellent, its time this immoral and disgusting practice was brought out into the cold light of day. What I'd really like to see is the whole affair all over the papers and TV. Pay to fly kids taking you on holiday whilst experienced pilots sit at home on the dole.

I was desperate for my first flying job once upon a time. I understand how you all feel. I applied and applied and applied and waited and made contacts and applied again until I landed a turboprop position. From there I built my way up onto jets. I had low hours as well but I was one amongst a batch of recruits some of whom were experienced guys who were redundant and some of whom were entering the business for the first time. Yes, the BA sponsored cadets had a good deal, yes some went straight onto jets but I seem to remember quite a few were headed for the ATP. I don't remember any of them moaning and demanding a 757 either.

All I say to you is wait. Wait until ten or fifteen years down the line when you are laid off or have your salary chopped due to "economic circumstances".Wait until you have a mortgage and a family and you cannot get even so much as a look in anywhere because all the places are "reserved" for those coming via a "scheme" like CTC or Oxford. See how you feel about having to retrain in your 50's because you can't manage on the reduced income. See how you feel about the youngsters who are buying their way into what used to be your good job. See how you feel about the training managements taking their bonuses whilst you get laid off. Fantasy?, the ramblings of a bitter old man? ask the BMI crews at LHR or the Thomsonfly crews who are about to be chucked on the scrapheap or the NJE crews who are struggling to cope for the next 4 years. The reason this job is being reduced below the status and conditions of a bus driver is precisely because of schemes like CTC making carriers the sort of offer they cannot refuse. These schemes would not exist if there were not a never ending line of aspirants who put their fingers in their ears and say "no, no, no I don't hear anything" whilst the rest of the industry tries desperately to warn them of the short sightedness of their actions and the consequences for the entire profession.

Well the chickens have finally come home to roost. This was inevitable and I'm afraid that I find it very difficult to have any sympathy whatsoever. Sorry but there it is. Go into any crew room and try your luck, I doubt you will find much there either.

Aviation is heading the same way as coal mining did in the 1980's.