PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2009, 07:22
stansdead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right. Here is my view on CTC, from a slightly different point of view.

I paid for my own training at OATS in 1999-2000. I was fortunate. I had a good job before (in my early 20's - in City trading). I went to OATS and left with very little debt fortunately.

I applied to CTC and gained a place on a 757 course with jmc Airlines. At the time, CTC cadets were meant to pay £6k towards the cost. However, for a short period in 2000 some of us were fortunate to not need to pay. Reference WWW and timing in this industry.

The course was held at Dibden. We then went to Royal Brunei Airlines for type rating simulators. We were given a car, per diems and a 4 star hotel SUITE for our stay!!! Reference WWW again.

Then, 6 months on £1000 plus expenses at jmc. This was not a problem. I had no debt remember. I rented a room from a jmc SFO, who remains one of my best friends to this very day. No need to sleep on the floor (even though we did sit on 2 deckchairs in his living room for 3 months as we renovated the house...)

From here, I got offered permanent jmc employment and even avoided the chop after 9/11 (I was the very last man on the jmc seniority list - I had signed and returned my permanent contract - others had not and were laid off immediately). Reference WWW again.

But, CTC gave me a HUGE headstart 9 years ago and allowed all the following to happen.

Then, a 2 year sabbatical at DHL.

Then back to Thomas Cook, where I was based at my local airport and rated on the 320 then the 330.

I left 3 years later and joined Virgin Atlantic on the A340.

The common denominator is for me, fortunately, that all my type ratings were paid for by airlines.

I saw the downturn coming and jumped from Virgin before the sh1t really hit the fan. Reference WWW again.

So, recently, I took another sabbatical and joined Wizzair as a DEC - just before they changed their DEC criteria as the unemployment crisis really bit. Reference WWW again.

Not the best airline, perhaps, but with the direction this industry is taking I feel that being a Captain is EVERYTHING.

What this highlights is just how far the CTC deal has deteriorated. I never felt that the deal I got at CTC undermined anyone. Sure, I got poor pay for 6 months, but you ALWAYS got a permanent contract at the end of it.

From there to this within 9 years. Like WWW, I find it utterly depressing.

But, be certain: If this continues, the downward trend will ultimately prove short lived. As bad as things are, eventually people WILL stop training in large numbers. There WILL then be a relative shortage of "willing volunteers" into modern slavery, and ultimately, if airlines are to maintain similar size and shape as to now, terms and conditions in the shape of pay will have to rise.

The industry has changed. Seniority is dying. Jobs are set to become more portable. This is a sad phase for our profession, but I do believe things will, out of necessity, improve.

Finally, before anyone says anything regarding Wizzair. Yes, they are not perfect. We have JFO's who have large debts and constant worries. This does not make me happy. It is (indirectly) another layer of checks that you have to perform to ensure Flight Safety. My first question to all my crew members, every day is: Are you fit, rested, ready and happy to fly?

The answer is always "Yes". I wonder if it's always true..........

Last edited by stansdead; 15th Dec 2009 at 07:30. Reason: addition