PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet/CTC Cadet Pilot Slavery Contract
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2009, 21:48
rusty_y2k2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I very rarely post here, but there are two recurring themes I constantly see cropping up in various threads on this subject that I would like to challenge... not because I expect anyone to change their opinions, but because if I don't at least stand up for myself no one else will.

First, regarding comments about CTC cadets referring to mummy and daddy. Until recently the loans were unsecured - some people seem to not understand that this means a rich mum and dad were not required to secure anything. That was one of the great appeals of the scheme as it was back then - if you had the "skills" then you could get a loan pretty much regardless of your background and live the dream..... of course the dream isn't what it was, but you tend to find that out £70,000 later.

The vast majority of cadets from CTC were not funded by mummy and daddy, and do not have large houses to cry outside of as suggested. in all but the exceptional cases the debt is the cadet's and no one else's.

I'm sorry to bring this up here, but I find such misinformed comments to be incredibly belittling and derogatory.

The second point that I find slightly irksome is the suggestion that I am adding to captains' fatigue levels. I have yet to have a captain leave the flight with a thousand yard stare, and every flight I can remember has had a pleasant and convivial flight deck environment with goodbyes at the end of the day usually comprising of "pleasure flying with you". Unless of course most captains are just accomplished liars! Further, I don't believe I am anything particularly out of the ordinary in that regard as all the impressions I get from captains regarding the CTC cadets is generally complementary. Of course there may always be the odd exceptions that prove the rule...

I understand that there are certain points to be made when pushing for better terms and conditions, and that low experience on the flight deck is a valid cause for concern. Equally however, I don't find the suggestion of cadet pilots such as myself causing captain's to go prematurely grey particularly productive.

With that said, back on topic - this new deal being presented to cadets is an order of magnitude worse than the summer contracts debacle, which was already leaving many feeling somewhat used and abused.

This new deal makes the last minute re-location, no holiday, no sick pay, part time work of this winter seem positively wonderful.

In some ways I am surprised anyone has signed up to such a blatantly horrific deal but at the same time I can understand why they have. HSBC have started taking an incredibly hard line towards us and are no longer accepting reduced repayments after 6 months, instead requiring the full amount or commencing debt collection actions if they are unable to take it out of our accounts. This is a problem even for the guys who are working this winter as it is not possible to afford the full newly amortized repayments on the part time wages.

So for those guys who don't even have the winter work I can understand that life must be looking so grim that they will take anything dangled in front of them! That combined with the seemingly typical shock tactic of "here's the deal but you start yesterday so you don't have time to think about it - yes or no now" must be quite difficult to overcome.

Of great concern though is that the flexicrew contract is up for renewal in January - one has to wonder whether it will involve a similar hourly rate deal which would be far inferior to what we are currently on, which itself is not sufficient at the moment to repay the loans.

The question is how we move on from this point without resorting to infighting and disparaging comments.

Last edited by rusty_y2k2; 14th Dec 2009 at 22:32.