PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ppl
Thread: Ppl
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2002, 08:16
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good advice.

No reason not to learn in the USA, or anyone else that's cheaper than here, if you want to get your PPL in the shortest time possible. You'll definitely need a few hours once you get back here, though. I did it the other way around - got my PPL in the UK, then went to the USA to do some hour-building, and it is quite different.

I didn't have too much problem with the R/T (the Americans tend to be far less formal in some areas, and I'd imagine that if you learnt over there, you might have trouble for an hour or two once you get back to the UK). But I did find navigation very different. I was flying in Arizona, and, when I looked at a chart for the first time, I was horrified! I couldn't understand how anyone could navigate when it was hundreds of miles from one town to the next, there was just one main road through the whole of the southern part of the State, and all the rivers were dry! "Easy - you use mountains" the instructors told me! Mountains? But there were mountains everywhere, and they all looked the same! How could I tell where I was by looking at big lumps of rock?

Well, I did a 3.5 hour cross-country with an instructor (which also covered some general mountain flying techniques), and after that I was reasonably happy. And by the time I came back to England, 2 months and 100 flying hours later, I found flying around London difficult for an hour or two because there were no mountains to navigate by!

Loads of fun, great experience, and it's made me a much more versatile pilot. But those few hours of dual flying were definitely necessary.

Have fun!

FFF
-------------