PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet/CTC Cadet Pilot Slavery Contract
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2009, 21:02
spanner the cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baguette. If you read some of the past posts in various Ryanair and EasyJet threads you'll get it.

These sorts of schemes are a cancer in todays aviation. As The Real Slim Shady (helpfully) points out, they have been going on for some time - BMI in the early to mid nineties, BAC Express and their Shorts 360 ratings. These "opportunities" weren't the normal way of getting the first leg up and were far and few between.

I know, I've been there, it's hard getting your first job but these schemes aren't helping future Ts and Cs in this industry. How on earth do you think you'll be able to move onto better paid, more stable employment if the employers you are likely to be targeting will only take on new batches of inexperienced cadets? It is happening now. Experience is a positive disadvantage as they can't make any money out of training you, you cost more to employ, you're probably better able to discern when you're being shafted and know when to say "No". BALPA's Log magazine recently had a very good article on the why's and wherefore's of these schemes and how they are affecting the industry today. You unfortunately find yourself caught in the crossfire.

This way of recruiting is very negative, divisive and, I believe, unsustainable. The other thing to remember is that you have proved yourself willing to fund your own type-rating and buy yourself into the industry. Perhaps you'll have to fund your next type course - and your next one, and your LPC/OPCs, buy your own uniform, pay for your medical, sort out your own pension arrangements, don't forget parking at work, security passes, disclosures, recurrent ground training, a bill for trainer time on line checks, pay for Cat C airfield clearances, your command upgrade. Better have good plastic.

Don't be a tart!

Spanner