PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Low NZ Flight Test
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2009, 19:08
Jimbo33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the lead up to my PPL flight test, went up with a B Cat from CAC. Went to LFZ1 (for those familiar) and he asked me to do a precautionary landing.

Was looking pretty good, and I was all set to go around at maybe 200' AGL, when he told me to keep going...keep going...keep going. We actually ended up landing, main wheels on the ground for maybe 4-5 secs. Was rough as all hell.

I was honestly quite disturbed by it, and very surprised that we actually landed. I did some discreet questioning back at the club, and it does happen from time to time. Apparently good experience for a student to feel what it's like to land on something other than a runway. Even though it was a very nice, flat, smooth paddock, it was still very very rough.

I guess in this particular LFZ, the instructors are so familiar with it they know which paddocks are suitable for a brief touch and go. If you line up on the right one, they'll sometimes make the call to go all the way.

While I'm sure some would disagree, I think was a great experience. Nice to have some idea of what to expect in the unlikely event of a precautionary landing or FLWOP.