PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The never-ending 'Modular vs. Integrated' debate - merged ad nauseam
Old 14th Dec 2009, 16:11
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jordan and Olly flick back a couple of pages on this thread. Should give you some insight.

The point I made in my last post was the when it came to integrated or modular. The main difference is in the cost. Can you afford to go integrated? Because frankly despite being told ' the consensus is that the Intergrated pilots found it easier to get jobs in the end.' The difference is marginal. The main reason that some airlines prefer integrated (When I say some, I think it's just two), is the filtering process the flight schools use to keep out the potential remedial and slow students. Integrated or modular you'll be the same pilot at the end of the day with the same Instructors. Just slightly poorer with integrated and fewer hours. Low hours is an issue for some airlines, (more than two, a lot more than two).

In any case, for those teenagers amongst us. SLOW DOWN. There is no hurry because there are few jobs out there and there won't be any in the timescale you're looking at. Quite seriously, I would say that realistically most teenagers now embarking on training will get their first airline job in three to five years time if they're lucky. Except for Ryanair but then they expect their recruits to pay for their own training which you won't be able to afford if you've blown it on an integrated course that Ryanair could care less about.

Don't be in any hurry to take on enormous debt for a rather nebulous possibilty of a massive upturn which will suck up all the available surplus of newly graduated pilots sitting at home right now thus leaving the field open to the class of 2011.

I know what it's like. I was there, in a desperate hurry to get flying, get the job as an 18 year old. As a result I made several poor decisions which only prolonged the effort.Take your time to consider all the alternatives and beware of sales talk. They want your money and will promise anything and prey on the naivety and desperation of young enthusiastic candidates.

You're doing the right thing by asking here by the way, despite the slightly wary replies.