PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering Sweden
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2009, 07:30
W.R.A.I.T.H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reivax is quite correct I'm afraid. Insider POW, the local expat rag in English is full of whining stories of hopelessness and despair, no matter the qualifications or experience. Without a solid knowledge of the language, both written and spoken, all jobhunting efforts in situ appear predestined to fail on an unseen scale. Most of the working immigrants came here with the job already prearranged, at least in some form - that is unless you're going to seek asylum, which is a bingo ticket.
At any rate, trying to get a flying job in Sweden you'll always be up against scores of natives and fellow Scandinavians (give or take same culture, mutually intelligible lingo) currenly out of job and stashed away elsewhere in the industry or abroad, all eagerly waiting for something to happen (like SAS to start hiring) for years already.
However I did not mean to sound discouraging... Scout the battlefield well beforehand, CV them, call them, have contacts established and paperwork sorted out before you come. Or else, be prepared to be self supporting for at least 2 years after your arrival whilst grappling with the language and the JAA ATPL conversion.