PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda pilot's conviction overturned
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2009, 04:10
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something tells me that this will turn out to be one of these "not who you know but who you blow" cases...

In any other country, you'd be seeing roadside stands selling "Garuda Pilot Jerky" by now - they would have been {rightly} flayed and hung to dry.

I guess the base message here is that if you think you're going to screw up, better do it in Indonesia - after you've made a few pals.

ecureilx writes:

BTW, talking of Asian laws, in Singapore, touching a woman without her permission leads to painful caning in the buttocks ..
It's pretty much the same world-wide. In the US, your caning comes in the form of a huge legal battle that has been known to force some into bankruptcy.

Centaurus quotes:

Is life so cheap in indonesia that greed and loss of face comes before what is safest? If these issues can not be addressed it is unlikey Indonesias' aviation safety record will change.
That's not unique. You can look at any country's history and find examples of the same.

The way you save face is by dealing with it at some point in the future - which I suspect is not what we'll see in this issue.

I'll throw out an old saw: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

I'll modify it: "Just because you can afford the license fees, insurance, pay for the pilots and crew, and lease airframes, doesn't mean you should operate an airline."

Quite honestly, some folks don't belong in aviation.

I can better understand some of the HUGE safety transgressions which occur in Africa - they're merely trying to connect parts of that huge continent as best they can, and they know the risks.

But when you present an under-funded operation which apparently lacks any of the traditional attitudes regarding airline safety and try to pass it off as an international carrier, that's another whole frigging deal.

Blacklisted? Sure.

The legit carriers servicing Indonesia don't need the competition, and folks are better off flying with an operator at least somewhat interested in preserving a long-term reputation.