PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VMCG less than VMCA
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2009, 20:21
john_tullamarine

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
but you can run out of rudder authority with wings level.

which is why you use some bank in critical (or near critical) circumstances .. wings level means that the real world Vmca is higher than book value.

an ability to stay within 30ft

depends on the particular certification basis

no more than 40degrees in the air

generally 20 deg

If I get airborne at VMCG with wings level ..

which might be foolish for most Types

... I only have rudder balancing asymetric thrust with the aircraft maintaining track parallel to the runway.

the latter probably being quite problematic ..

Once airborne at VMCA, I can use up to 5 degs bank into the live engine(s) using both rudder and sideslip to maintain heading.

generally one would expect Vmca to be predicated on 5 deg bank. Without the 5 deg, you might find yourself somewhat below the real world Vmca at the time.

Why do you think they permit us to use up to 5 degs bank?

to prevent the certification Vmca being based on more than 5 deg bank

Vmca and Vmcg... in a single engine aeroplane?

you can get something analogous to Vmca for high alpha with net prop thrust moving a tad laterally. I can recall a TP's tale of this effect at low speed where he had negligible control over heading at low speed and high thrust. Not observed it myself but the story makes sense.

therefore does this not suggest that VMCG is greater than VMCA, because of the different bank angles

only in the same way that an orange's colour is more orange than an apple's. Bank has naught to do with Vmcg.

VMCG can be considered, generally, to be higher than VMCA.

.. except for those aircraft for which it is lower ..

it's very bank dependant

only for Vmca. For a large (bomber) type, as I recall, banking 5 deg the WRONG way ups Vmca by around 35kt.

It all lies in the moment arm, that is, the stabilising/directional force supplied by the rudder/vertical stabiliser, and it's distance from the fulcrum.

probably a bit oversimplistic an explanation

as the weight gradually moves off the wheels and onto the wings

that may have some basis for a low wingloading lightie single but not for a transport jet

I just need to check if I am a victim of some myth

I think so.