PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From zero hours to airline pilot - my story.
Old 13th Dec 2009, 20:04
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then, two days before I finished at Corus, Julie dropped the bombshell. She wanted a divorce.
Out of the whole story only a couple of lines about what should, in most people's minds be an earth-shattering event. Without wishing to under-estimate the effects of your divorce it seems to have been blip on the radar as far as your career to date is concerned.

Most of my airline buddies are either single or divorced (me included).

For all of you out there wishing to change career and become pilots, I remember an old adage I was told years ago about life in the services:

'It's great if you're single, not so good if you're married but a nightmare if you have kids'.

In my experience of airline flying that's very true.

My wife at the time supported me through all my training over a number of years and was pleased that I succeeded - she just couldn't handle the disruptive lifestyle, the odd hours, the weeks away when I was in the sim. or on SEP courses and the fact I was never there for birthdays, Christmas or New Year, parents' evenings, school plays and the like.

Flying is a VERY selfish and disruptive occupation, so when you look at your wife and kids this Christmas, remember that in years to come you might wish they were still there as you fly your shiny jet at 5:00am on one fine New Year's Day!

This is a very bitter Post - but true.

I was just like you - I achieved my ambition and eventually flew my shiny jet - just lost my wife, child, house and savings in the process!

12 great years of flying and all the places and all the people - ALL EXPERIENCED ON MY OWN. They've all gone now and I'm left with a life-time of regrets.

Gave up flying and re-married so all is not lost!

But if I hadn't decided to become an airline pilot in the first place ...

Merry Christmas

FOK

Last edited by FlyingOfficerKite; 13th Dec 2009 at 20:18.