PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta A119 versus Eurocopter AS350B3
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2009, 19:43
HELISeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry vertical freedom, but it seems that I involuntary hurt you!

I mean that in our country (which I remember you is about 6 time smaller than Yukon) the annual flight hours / ship are about 500 to 600, practically only external load long lining / logging, with an average time per rotation around two minutes (I flown logging about 100 m distance under one minute).

Definitely that is stressing your engine far away of that you're supposed to fly, when you design an helicopter and his engine.

They are actually about 50 registered B3 and the competition is heavier afgainst somewhere in the world.
I recall my cycles per hour rate as far beyond that suggested by EC or Turbomeca.

My TRQ overlimits too...

That is the reason because almost every operator is scared when the Arriel is going to a workshop for a module exchange.
The fee is every time the double as planned!!

That's also the reason why when somebody try to explain me how to flying external, I suggest to come here for a short holiday...

Since my earlier mechanic experience I learned that the worldwide best freewheel turbo shaft is and remain the PT6 with an unsurpassed positive hours/troubles rate

The reason why nobody can help 3top in his inquiry is simply because nobody can recall such experience with a Koala, but too much stupid urban legends are every where

In our country it is only a single operator owning both version (older and newer) but since they are operated for personal use of the owner (and maybe just 10% for commercial duty) it is really hard to compare it with a B3.

I suggested to contact Karen which is the only agreed maintenance operator in our country and Mr Nicora may help you.

Maintenance during night is never a problem since you aren't alone (human factor)

Any case the cowboy time when you flown the whole season but forgot to write for the maintenance is far away, but if the authority snap you you may lost more than won 'til there.

Switzerland is close to Italy and despite the Koala being manufactured in the USA, for us AOG is not a problem.

I don't know if you see my picture seating in the Koala, but I'm 182 cm tall so you may convert it.

Dart sell a bubble door which is FAA and CAA certified, (and I hope so also EASA in short time), but from now on I believe that with the original anti crash seats it would be impossible for me to keep the door on (for you too).

Of the 40 hrs flown in the Koala, about two third is logging time, with a 48 m logging line double CANAM nubbins chocker.
The helicopter climb @50 KIAS (with a brief acceleration leg) more than 2'800 ft/min which is by far better than our Lama (you remember computer+ 0.05?) or the B3s I flown 'til today (normalB3s not a +)

At about 4'500 ft DA with a cement bucket weighing 950 kgs I still climb (at the end of yellow arc) about 800 ft/min and that at a speed of 90 KIAS.

About limitation, there is on the Koala no such "gong" that is stressing you directly to an over limit.

On the Koala you still have on the upper screen a digital representation of your analogical instruments (like the 407 isn't?) and when the red is coming you have comfortable 5 second to react; but anycase on the RFM there is a superb explanation how limitation are working.

Keep in mind that it is an Italian ship and the guys there are a bit complicated, so for an example the fuel tank drain are electrical operated, but we had a clogged drain valve which simply drip the whole day because it didn't close completely (dirt in tank?).

The systems are really redundant as I wrote, but also too much complicated (just look at the fuel storage):

I don't know if it would be a good competitor against the B3, but from pilot to pilot you would enjoy it.

Long lining is fabulous, although you're seating on the wrong side the visibility is close to perfect; the ship despite of his mass is reacting very fast as soon you're learning how to manage with the double stabilization device, but keep in mind to fly with out force trim on!!!

When you "throw" the cargo hook trough the trees, you may recover the ship in a matter that recall a single stage turboshaft (like the Lama's artouste IIIB) and I didn't experienced any trouble with surging or similar.
That is also a reason why I definitely loved the PT6 and none will convince me that the Arriel is better!

The last good Turbomeca engine was that on the Lama!!