PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlink Accident in George 7 December '09
Old 13th Dec 2009, 16:45
Mad Dog 83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cover Up

Reading all the stuff above about the 'incident' at George is very interesting....but one issue which, although probably a small thing, still baffles me.

The initial press release issued by the AIRLINK identified the aircraft involved as being ZS-SJX....which it clearly wasn't as can be seen by a plethora of photographs which quickly appeared everywhere, before someone obliterated the registration marks (as seen on the picture spread across front page of the Cape Times a day after the event)

Now WHY would this be done? What purpose is served by hiding the aircraft's registration when this is bound to become known sooner rather than later. Should I smell a rat? I know there has been the odd case where airline names et al have been painted over at a crash scene (to obviously minimise bad publicity) but by obliterating the registration marks in this case (even though the official AIRLINK press release actually quoted a registration mark, albeit an incorrect one) makes me wonder.

In today's Sunday Times there is a postage stamp sized picture of what the aircraft (ZS-SJW!)looks like after its removal from the road....Are there better pictures around anywhere?