PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cairns Helicopter Crash
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2009, 23:18
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be a bit of a Cool Kat ambience on this thread saying that - of course it was LTE
tot, remember who posted
LTE;

Lack of Technical Education,

Lack of Training for the Environment,

or simply

Lackadasial Transient Enzyme.
I made no judgement as I recall to the cause of this accident, but merely responded to comments re LTE.
that is no reason to crash a perfectly serviceable helicopter, even from as low as fifty feet above the terrain when it is induced
The only time I experienced LTE was with a 206 sling loading into a very difficult pad located in a deep saddle between two peaks. It was only dumb luck that the placed the drop off to my right and was able to let it turn right and lower collective and dive down the mountain face to regain airspeed. One of the hazards of no formal instruction and teaching yourself mountain flying. Needed more than 50 feet. Once again circumstances dictate outcome.
Overpitching, will initially only produce a slowly increasing yaw. Agreed?
The one and only time I've seen it entered accidentally rotation was very rapid, so have to say don't agree. Once again circumstances enter the equation. The gunship chaps had plenty of practice at hovering autos recovering from this scenario.

Last edited by Brian Abraham; 12th Dec 2009 at 23:28.