PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMI puts 600 jobs at risk?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2009, 15:46
pilotsama330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Little Too Late (again!)

Why can't we learn from our mistakes !!!

I have been reading with interest the multiple posts on here and the balpa website regarding 'too little too late' with regards to the Embraers at LHR I am shocked that no-one can draw a parallel to the cadets schemes being snuck in the back door by a greedy training department determined to protect themselves.

After the redundancies have been made the company will be operating at the ‘optimum’ level they forecasted which begs the following questions are asked:

1) Does anyone seriously believe the people who made that forecast are capable of assessing it accurately?!?!? We arguably have one of the worst rostering departments in the business.
2) Can no-one see that the continued use of these cadets allows crewing to ‘flex-up’ and ensure that all flights are staffed without the burden of having to re-employ redundant staff. A positive benefit for the company I’m sure the training department will take credit for.
3) Once the redundancies have taken place, if the company indeed turns out to need pilots they don’t need to re-employ anyone as these cadets can be utilised to fill the shortfall. Who will be watching then? Who will be looking out for the interests of the redundant FO’s? Simply put no-one will be.

I don’t subscribe to the naïve attitude that the cadet’s presence doesn’t pose either a threat or a negative, they do both to the current bmi employees and to the cadets themselves (who are victims too and spending vast sums of money to be in such a position). Not to mention it’s obviously bad for everyone flooding the worldwide airbus pilot pool, when we already have a surplus – particularly in the UK.

I truly feel that to allow a ‘Pay To Fly’ scheme to continue when you’re laying off pilots is morally and legally reprehensible. We are turning a blind eye to what could be an industry precedent and another erosion to our already deteriorated status and the perceived value of our profession.