PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shirts, Ties, Epaulettes and Flying Suits.
Old 24th Jun 2002, 18:20
Trislander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I remember a thread about a year or so ago about the famous TV-presenting aviator Brendan O'Brien. It went on about the fact that even when he was on location at the spotter's gallery at LHR he was still wearing his flying jacket and life vest! But some organisations want their piloting staff to have that professional look, such as FTO's and Air Taxi companies. The producers of 'Flightline' obviously wanted to make sure the viewers realised that he is a professional pilot and knows what he is talking about when it comes to aviation. It also provides a good image for the show.

On the other hand, back in my PPL training days (erm, last year!) I was at the flight school preparing for a lesson when a lapsed-PPL holder walked in, with full commercial pilots apparel, and even had one of those 'PPL' wings badges from Transair hand-stitched onto his Jumper. He had only come down for a trial lesson with his family to see whether or not he wanted to re-validate his PPL after all those years. One of the instructors commented that he was wearing two stripes more than himself! He had 4 stripes.

And flying jackets- I don't think that they should be knocked. Plenty of non-pilots wear them, so why shoulden't a real pilot?

Regards Trislander