PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet more bad news?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2009, 09:43
LFFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vec,

Sometimes your simple view of life staggers me! So I'm being generous and assuming that you've got your tongue firmly in your cheek and have your fishing line firmly in both hands.

But just in case any innocent people are taken in by your post, I have to point out that quite few of the "57 RAF bases" actually have aircraft based at them. Which just goes to show what a large contribution RAF personnel make to defence overall.

If you count the red RAF Flying Stations on this link, you'll see that there are only 19, and I think even that is out of date.

To get a real idea of what RAF personnel get up to at many of the non-flying "RAF Bases", try clicking on some of the blue circles on the map. Start with the one on the south coast, just above the Isle of Wight. You should read the following:

LATCC(Mil), an Air Command Unit which is embedded within the London Area Control Centre. It is the home of the London Area Control Centre (LACC). It is a civilian establishment run by the National Air Traffic Services (NATS), with military Air Traffic Control staff working alongside civilian colleagues in a joint civil/military radar operations room. The controllers are responsible for the safe and expeditious passage of aircraft flying over England, Wales and their associated coastal waters.
Please note that it's not even an MOD establishment! Neither are many other of the so-called "RAF Stations" on that link.

So Vec, the number of 57 RAF bases is just spin to make the loss of another RAF airfield seem not so important (if that's what's going to be announced next week). You haven't been taken in have you?