PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil airfields in Somerset?
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2009, 16:59
Pat42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mil airfields in Somerset?

Over the summer I spent a few days at an event at the Bath and West Showground, just south of Shepton Mallet in Somerset. Whilst I was there I had the pleasure of witnessing a few beautiful sites including some low flying Hercules and what must have been the one restored Avro Vulcan.

The Vulcan was climbing steadily at (I guess) around 2000-3000 feet, heading from the north-east and passed a little south of me. The Hercules (on a seperate day) came from the south-west and passed almost directly overhead in the direction the Vulcan had come from, I'd have guessed they were at little more than 1000 feet. They flew in formation until they were about half a mile away from my location before one broke away to the north (I presume to give the other room to make his landing run).

Based upon the altitudes of the aircraft I'd have thought there must have been an airfield within a few miles of my location, but I can't seem to find anything on the map and was wondering if anyone knew where they might have been coming from/heading to? (Before anyone chips in: I know that it is hard to predict the altitude of aircraft from the ground, but to put my estimates into context I live about 5 miles from Southampton Airport and the aircraft I saw from Shepton Mallet were certainly lower than those that pass overhead my house going to and from Southampton).